The Vaccination Effect at Mercy

Nina H. ’23

As we all know (a little too well), Covid-19 has been running rampant across the globe. We wear masks and social distance, but is there finally hope for some normalcy? The Covid-19 vaccine is now available to everyone 12 years old and up, which means all of Mercy’s student body can get vaccinated. I am fortunate enough to have been vaccinated myself, along with the rest of my family. The entire Mercy faculty and staff got vaccinated earlier this winter in order to ensure the safety of our school and to further allow girls to attend school in-person. I interviewed Ms. Goldbeck and Nina H. ‘23 to get an insight on the effect the vaccine has had on the faculty and staff, as well as our very own classmates. 

How did you feel when you found out you were eligible for the vaccine? 

Nina: When I found out I could finally get the vaccine, I was overjoyed. I was happy to be helping both myself and others. 

Ms. Goldbeck: I was grateful and somewhat relieved. It seemed like it was a complicated process for some people, and I was glad to have things arranged so seamlessly for me. I had no concerns about receiving the vaccine and wanted to do my part to get vaccinated.

Have you been virtual, hybrid, or full time? Why? 

Nina: Currently, I’m full time in school. I am doing this because I focus better at school. This way it is easier for me to ask my teachers any questions about the work, without feeling weird. 

Ms. Goldbeck: I have been in person nearly full time. When we returned in October, I had some personal challenges that caused me to need to stay home with my family until after the Christmas holiday, but I was so glad to return in January full time!

Do you have any hope going into the 2021-2022 school year? 

Nina: Yes, I do. In my opinion, Mercy has done a good job at getting students back to school in person. Giving the option to come full time in the 2020-2021 school year will help get students in next year. 

Ms. Goldbeck: I have lots of hope for the upcoming school year. I am looking forward to returning to our former schedule, meeting new students and faculty, and seeing what traditions we can return to and what new things there are to explore!

What has been the hardest obstacle to overcome this school year? 

Nina: The hardest obstacle to overcome this year for me was managing my mental health. Luckily, I have the support of friends, family, and most importantly, my sister. They have helped me stay together and on top of my school work.

Ms. Goldbeck: Momentum. Since everything changes and with such frequency, it was hard to not get derailed by all the distractions of COVID life. I also greatly miss socialization and my friends. It was also really hard to see my son spend the  majority of his Kindergarten year on a screen, but he still thrived and learned a lot. Watching him make the most of it helped me to do the same.

As this school year comes to a close, we must take time to reflect on all the challenges we faced this year and how we overcame them, and realize that we did, in fact, make it through another year. Everyone should be immensely proud of themselves. The Covid-19 vaccine shows us that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Everyone, please go get vaccinated if you are eligible, so that we can return to some normalcy. Continue to follow the C.D.C. guidelines and have patience. Stay safe and enjoy the summer!