Seniors’ Last Day

Alex N. ’21 & Carolyn A. ’21

Elena H, Mercy Beat Reporter

Graduation. Graduation is a big day. A huge day, if I do say so myself. I have been longing for this day ever since I could remember. My parents always talked to me about high school. My curious mind always had questions, and if I’m being honest, I still do. Ever since I was young, my one true goal was to graduate high school. To cross that finish line, after that last hurdle. And believe me, there have been a multitude of hurdles. As we are in the closing weeks of the semester, the Seniors (including myself) take time to reflect on their high school careers. But also take a glance into the future. Our last day as high schoolers, officially comes to an end on May 21. It seems surreal that we have an actual date. It brings forth the notion that time really does not stop for anyone or anything. I interviewed Alex N. ’21 and Carolyn A. ’21, to gain some more perspective on graduation and closing this chapter of our lives.

What are your plans for after high school? 

Alex: After high school, I’m attending Virginia Tech as a Psych Major with a concentration in Disability Studies.

Carolyn: I plan on attending University of Maryland, College Park in the fall to continue my academic studies.

Do you think the Mercy/IND community has prepared you for college and/or plans for after high school? Any advice to the rising seniors? 

Alex: I think the IND/Mercy community has prepared me for college, but I also am excited to see many other different types of people rather than just those in my class. My advice for rising seniors is to savor each moment because time goes by so fast.

Carolyn: I think that Mercy has equipped me with not only the knowledge I need to thrive in college, but the values and experiences as well. I would recommend to rising seniors to try not to get caught up in everything college related. Remember that it’s your last year of childhood and try to cherish it. Even if it does not seem all that pleasant now, you will want to look back and remember memories you made, not just the stress of the college application process.

What will you miss most about high school? What are you excited for? 

Alex: I will miss all of my friends so much, but I am super excited to explore a new atmosphere and meet new people.

Carolyn: I will miss the many relationships I have made over the past four years. It is difficult knowing that we won’t all be in the same place together again, but I am excited to see my friends and classmates reach their full potentials and become who they are meant to be after high school.

Lastly, how are you feeling about graduation? 

Alex: I am very excited for graduation. I am sad that I could not experience my high school graduation in the Cathedral, but I am staying positive for the situation we are in.

Carolyn: I am anxious about leaving the life that I have at Mercy. The school is a safe space for me and I’m not sure if I’m ready to leave. I am happy that when I do leave, I know we will be sent away with love and good intentions from the faculty, staff, and student body.

The final stretch is near. To my fellow classmates, congratulations! We deserve to enjoy and savor these final moments. You are so close to the finish line.