Advice from a Senior

Sara Matvey, Editor

Senior year is supposed to be legendary. I guess you can say that mine was. While it was far from perfect, I still managed to enjoy my senior year, even without Field Day. Here is what I wish I knew before senior year and some advice.

1. College decisions aren’t easy for everyone. I am not the best person to speak about this topic because I have had my mind made up on the University of Pittsburgh since December 2018, but I can still offer some advice. College decisions are a sensitive subject. Your friends may not want to talk about it because they may have been rejected from a top choice, may not be able to pay for a top choice, may not know where they even want to go, and are probably extremely stressed out. My advice is to not talk about it. Everyone is stressed about it, and you don’t want to make any of your friends feel any more stressed out. When you know where you are going or when you get accepted to your dream school, celebrate! You earned it and you deserve it, but always be mindful of how your friends are feeling.
  2. Take photos. Photos are a great way to remember your days in high school! I have tons of pictures from my junior and senior years, but I wish I had more from freshman and sophomore year. It is as easy as taking a quick Snapchat or grabbing your phone for a few seconds. Taking videos is great too! I have so much fun looking through my Snapchat memories at all the videos I have taken and reliving all of the fun times I’ve had. Lastly, photos will be a great way to take a trip down memory lane when you’re older. Who knows how much different our lives will look in 50 or 60 years, and the photos you take today will help you to remember the past!
  3. Get involved. High school is a great opportunity to find what you are truly passionate about! You’re in luck because Mercy has a myriad of clubs and sports. From Anime Club to the Magic Media Club, Mercy has everything, and if you cannot find what you’re looking for, propose a new club! If you’re interested in sports, attend their interest meetings and try outs. Even if you don’t have much (or any) experience, you should try out! Sports are a great way to make friends with a wide variety of girls. Lastly, get involved in Field Day. It is the most wonderful time of the year, and it is such a good time to meet people in your class that you otherwise wouldn’t spend time with. Join dance, exercise, costumes, or become a captain, and I can assure you that you will have such a good time.
  4. Utilize your frees. Frees are a great time to get work done, but also a great time to spend with friends. Some of my best memories at Mercy happened in the library and dining hall during my frees. Almost everyone has them, and it is very unlikely that no one in your class has the same free as you. It is a great way to make new friends within your class and maybe even outside of your class. Have fun during your frees! You spend all day at school working and it is so refreshing to take a break and have fun.
  5. Use your resources. Mercy provides so many helpful resources for students. They include college counseling, guidance counselors, and peer tutoring courtesy of NHS. Use these! They’re free and are so helpful. Ms. Cummings provides great help during the college process and is almost always available to talk. Our guidance counselors are always willing to listen and help you. NHS gives up their frees to help you with work you’re struggling with. These resources are so valuable, and I recommend that you use them.
  6. Appreciate all that is Mercy.  Administration and your teachers put so much work in for you to have an enjoyable and valuable high school experience. I never appreciated it until it was over, and I never realized all our faculty and staff do for us. Always remember to appreciate what you’re given because many, many of your peers don’t have the same opportunities as you.

I have learned a lot about having a far from ordinary senior year. The most important is to cherish every moment that you have with your Mercy sisters. I left school on March 12th, excited to be able to spend two weeks at home, and I was sure that I would be back at Mercy by April. As weeks passed, I realized that this wasn’t the case and that I will never go back to Mercy as a current student. Cherish your time at Mercy. Everyone says that it goes by too fast and it really does. Cherish your time with your sisters; you’ll regret it if you don’t. Lastly, in times of struggle and hardship, support each other.

Thank you to the following seniors and alums for helping me: Sam Brager ’19, Meg Kennedy ’20, Phoebe Glock ’20, Grace Mahan ’19, Dasha Robinson ’20, Hannah Snoops ’20, Destiny Edwards ’20, Lindsey Hammel ’20, and Karissa Kozlowski ’20.