Wrapping Up 2019 at Mercy High School

2019 was a year to remember at Mercy High School with new beginnings and grand installments to the school. We at the Shield are breaking down every major (and minor) event that occurred in the 2019 school year by month starting at the very beginning.

January 2019

• The student body kicked off the New Year with exam study guides and high-stress levels as students and teachers began their preparation for the upcoming exams.
  • Students gathered together in the dining hall for a “Night Under the Stars” as they danced the night away with their fathers. The night included beautiful decorations, delicious food, and lots of dancing!
  • The JV Basketball team took down the Institute of Notre Dame on the eve of “The Big Game”.

February 2019

• “The Big Game” brought in February with a bang! Students, alumnae, parents, and fans of Mercy came together to cheer on the Magic Basketball team. Despite their loss to the IND Penguins, they still gave it their all and played their absolute best.

MERCY VS. IND
  • The Indoor Soccer Team secures their SECOND championship after an undefeated season
  • Mercy Footlighters puts on the wonderfully performed show, “Beehive: The Musical ” starring students from all grade levels.
  • Students, faculty, and alumnus break ground on the brand new AstroTurf field and the new “Mary Anne Heckwolf Softball field” which will provide student-athletes with the best and most safe playing conditions around. It was also announced that Pipeline Soccer Club will be partnering with Mercy High School to play on the legendary field which was soon to be named “The Sisters of Mercy Field”.
  • Students of the Class of 2023 are given their “magical” acceptance letters despite a snowstorm hitting the region.

March 2019

• The Class of 2021 receives their sophomore pins and celebrates Sophomore Unity Week ending the magical week with Pin Dance
  • While the Sophomore “unite” with their class, the freshmen celebrate HerStory Day with fantastic costumes and food. The Juniors and Seniors went on a “service adventure” to many sites around Baltimore to provide for those in need. The School finished off the day with the Junior Service Fair.
  • The Freshmen Class celebrates their HerStory Banquet
  • The Senior Class celebrates its 100 days until graduation with a comfortable dinner and creative superlatives for each class member.
  • The Class of 2021 presents their Personal Projects after months of planning and hard work.
  • Mercy High School hosts its annual gala to raise money for the school. Parents, alumnae, benefactors, and many others came together for the night to play classic casino games and eat delicious food.

April 2019

• The Class of 2020 danced their way to 1st place, winning Field Day 2019 with their theme, “Just Dance Juniors”!
  • The Senior Class McCauley Scholars present their Capstone projects to the school community.
  • Mercy Juniors and Seniors come together for a fun night of dancing and “beauty” at the 2019 “Be Our Guest” Prom.
  • Varsity Golf wins the IAAM B Conference Championship!

Varsity Lacrosse Wins Championship

May 2019

• Freshmen students welcome past teachers to Mercy High School to celebrate their work, at Magic Day 2019.
  • Artists of Mercy High School Display their work at the annual Art Show and are inducted in the National Art Honor Society.
  • Varsity Lacrosse wins the B Conference Championship for the third year in a row!
  • Seniors celebrate their Senior Sleepover and their final school day at Mercy.
  • The school celebrates the end of the year awards and the Alumnae Induction Breakfast.

June 2019

• Mercy students end the school year off with the Final Exams!
  • Seniors celebrate their Bacaleurette Mass and finally walk down the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen to graduate. Congratulations Class of 2019!

June, July, and August: Happy Summer!

End of August

• Mercy Athletes return to school and begin a new era of sports on the new Sisters of Mercy Turf Field!
  • Mercy welcomes the Class of 2023 to school for Freshmen Orientation!

September 2019

• All students return for the first day of school at Mercy High School! Welcome back!
  • Mercy celebrates “The Bell Game” and the opening of the new turf field. Mercy goes on to win against Maryvale and ring the bell for the first time.
  • Mercy kicks off their 5k Run and Magic Mile Fun Walk!
  • The Class of 2020 finally recieves their Mercy High School Class Rings!

October 2019

• Mercy Alumnae for the Class of 1969 celebrate their 50th Reunion.
  • Mercy celebrates Homecoming 2019 with the Homecoming Dance and multiple games including Mercy’s own athletic teams.
  • Mercy’s Footlighters presents Steel Magnolias.
  • The International Club presented the International Assembly to display Mercy’s diversity.
  • Mercy High School celebrates Halloween in true fashion with a school wide Halloween costume day!

November 2019

• The infamous Chris Herren visited to speak on drug and alcohol addiction for the whole Mercy Community.
  • Charm City Players “Elf: The Musical” opened for its first show.
  • Model OAS and Modal UN traveled to Washington, DC for the anual Model Organization of American States Conference.
  • The Mercy High School Raffle began!
  • Students invited Grandparents and special friends to school for a Thanksgiving Prayer Service and a few classes.
  • The Mercy Community celebrated Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving!

December 2019

• Students and faculty members assembled at the Maryland Fairgrounds to volunteer at the Festival of Trees! Students and faculty helped with games, crafts, and other activities for children who were excited for a morning of fun!
  • Mercy High School got their first snow day of the year!
  • Mercy welcomes a “special guest” to celebrate the upcoming Christmas holiday as he makes a stop on his gift route to see all the Mercy girls in their festive sweaters!
  • Mercy High School celebrates Chirstmas and The 2020 New Year! Ho, Ho, Ho!

This year was definitely one to remember! Thank you to everyone who made this year so great! Happy New Year!

*All pictures were acquired from Mercy High School, Baltimore’s official Facebook page.*