Managing General Anxiety

October 30, 2019

“That candle I had going before bed, did I blow it out before falling asleep?” I ask myself, half asleep. I would wake up multiple times during the night, checking the candle and asking the same question. Do you ever wonder, “is it normal?” Getting nervous before soccer games, and throwing up ten minutes before? Or if you have panic attacks on the daily? Or, is it something small, like sweaty palms before you take a test? Drawing the line from “normal anxiety” to a medical issue is something that isn’t for me to draw for you. So, whether you know you have an anxiety disorder not, this is a known fact. We all have anxiety to some degree.

There are so many things to do to calm anxiety. As a generally anxious person, I would like to share my tips and tricks. Knowing that 99% of the things I’ve worried about in the past never came true, I try to tell myself “that last thing you were worried about never happened, or the worry before that. Why would you think this time would be any different?” Being aware of the tricks your mind plays is key in reducing anxiety. Self awareness coupled with self compassion can heal even the most uncomfortable anxieties. Allowing yourself to feel the anxiety helps it pass in a healthy way.

Furthermore, meditation is also helpful. Sometimes, especially when you start out, it can be uncomfortable. Going inside yourself, noticing your thoughts when they’re not what you want them to be, can be hard. With practice, meditation can help you see your thoughts as just thoughts, and to let them go. Focusing on what you want, rather than your anxiety, during meditation is also a helpful practice for some. Going into it with an intention will make it more likely that you’ll see this intention manifest throughout your daily life. Focusing on the breath during meditations is also helpful because it’s calming.

Sometimes, tangible things can help such as putty, rubiks cubes, tangles, crystals, cards, etc. Anything that you can hold that is considered “grounding,” and is helpful for anxiety. The most important thing is that you find coping skills that work best for you. The best way to gain coping skills is to practice them. The next time you feel upset, instead of doing something negative, kick the soccer ball around! Or, meditate, have positive self talk, or use something tangible to ground yourself.

Have a relaxed day!