Back to Article
Back to Article

The 2020 Winter Forecast has Arrived!

A

A "snowy" Annapolis, Maryland.

A "snowy" Annapolis, Maryland.

A "snowy" Annapolis, Maryland.

The 2020 Winter Forecast has Arrived!

October 28, 2019

It may only be October, but winter is just around the corner. So far, North Dakota has been hit with a major snow storm. The National Weather Service recorded that up to 30 inches of snow had fallen as of October 12. What a way to start fall!

As for the rest of the United States, winter will not officially arrive until later on this year and the beginning of 2020. AccuWeather finally released their snow predictions on October 24. The Southeast will experience more rain then snow this upcoming season due to warmer water in the Gulf; however, there may be few chances of snow during this winter season. The Midwest will kick winter off with frigid air coming from the Arctic.  The Midwest will also experience “milder-than-normal weather” in December. If you’re heading to the Midwest anytime soon, make sure to bundle up for cold conditions.

The Southern plains will start winter with a “few wintry events with snow and ice before milder air returns” according to meteorologist Paul Pastelok. Temperatures will then spike above normal. The Southwest and California snow resorts will experience snow in the beginning of winter which is not normal for the region. As for the rest of the season, they will have normal snowfall and great ski conditions. The Northeast will experience wet and heavy snow after we ring in the 2020 New Year, which means no White Christmas that everyone always wishes for. Despite the expectation of snow storms, there will be less snow accumulation than in recent years. As for Maryland, the state will experience swings in temperatures and wetter snow as winter continues.

Whether you’re in the warm and humid regions of Florida or the chilling hills of the Dakota’s, the lower 48 is in for an interesting 2020 winter season.