What I Wish I Knew Before I Got My Wisdom Teeth Out

September 23, 2019

Getting my wisdom teeth out was scary, but not traumatic. In the weeks leading up to my procedure date, I scoured the internet trying to figure out what I would do while I was stuck at home for a few days. All I found was people telling me that I should read books and that I would be fine in two days. This was the most misleading and least helpful information I could find. So, I decided to compile an accurate and realistic article about getting your wisdom teeth removed.

1.  The oral surgeon told me to come in comfortable clothes, so I did. Don’t dress for the weather. I got mine out in July, so I wore a t-shirt and leggings, and I was still cold. Anesthesia lowers the body temperature, so be prepared to be cold when you wake up and leave. You can’t wear long-sleeves, because it can interfere with the IV and the heart rate monitors. If you really want sleeves, bring a sweatshirt or jacket.
  2. Bring chapstick! If I had brought chapstick with me, I would’ve been so much more comfortable. Although you cannot feel your lips once you are awake, it helps out in the long run. Since your mouth is stretched open during the procedure, your lips get very chapped. My lips felt like they were burning for days, because I wasn’t able to put on chapstick until I got home.
  3. Don’t buy too much food for the first few days. I bought five packets of instant mashed potatoes, two boxes of macaroni and cheese, a tub of ice cream, apple sauce, and much more. The first day, you will not feel like eating anything. It hurts, and the pain medication knocks you out. Just purchase a normal amount of food, because you can always go to the supermarket after a few days. Don’t worry, you will be able to eat most normal foods after a few days, and your diet won’t be just mashed potatoes and ice cream for weeks.
  4. Ice on and off for 30 minutes. Listen to them when they tell you this, it keeps the pain level so much more bearable. Also, icy hot lotion feels GREAT around your jaw area after the first day. I used this one that is made from essential oils, but there are also cheaper options at Target like this one. After the first couple days, use a heating pad on and off for 30 minutes. It helps to control the swelling and feels really good.
  5. Movies! Every article I read said that it was a great time to catch up on reading. It isn’t, at least it wasn’t for me. I was in so much pain, and the medications made me so tired that reading was not something I wanted to do. Instead I watched a ton of movies and TV shows. Some of my favorites were Despicable Me 3, RuPaul’s Drag Race, The Office, three whole seasons of Grey’s Anatomy, and more. Amazon Prime and Netflix were my best friends when I got my wisdom teeth out.

Just remember to relax and enjoy your time off! You won’t have to do anything for a few days: enjoy it and savor it. It won’t be long until you’re back at school or work wishing for another three to five days off.

1 Comment

One Response to “What I Wish I Knew Before I Got My Wisdom Teeth Out”

1. Heather Shanty on October 9th, 2019 2:14 pm

Will definitely be using these tips when I get my wisdom teeth out!

The Shield • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in