The Sophs Get Personal: Personal Projects!

May 8, 2019

This past March, as part of the IB curriculum, the Sophomores had their Personal Project fair. After a year of brainstorming and research about a topic of their choosing, they were finally ready to unveil a final product that showcased their skills and achieved a clear purpose. “The purpose of the personal projects is to allow students to further develop their skills that will be used in college and their careers. It is important that students learn as early as possible how to self-regulate and self-direct. The project is a unique opportunity to give students time in school to study formally about something they care about. Sophomores are at an important point in their high school career— the halfway point. They still have time left in high school to figure everything out. We want to emphasize the process. If they have failed products, they should know that the process was more important than the end goal,” says Mrs. Adelsberger. Take a look at some of the projects, focusing on self-expression, individuality within unity, and content creating.

Brielle Redd ‘21-

“My Personal Project, my dance, was a very interesting task. When I first decided to choreograph a dance, I was not prepared for the planning that was ahead. When I started the choreography I had a hard time at first because I was not connecting to the songs that I chose. I eventually had to pick a song and once I did I was able to make up the steps. I wrote notes down on paper that described the main elements, and steps of the dance. I am really proud of my final product, and the look of it as well. There were a few minor setbacks during this process. At first I found it difficult to create moves that went along with the song. I later had to figure out what I would dance in, and I decided to dance in my black leotard and tights. When I filmed the dance, there were many takes that were done until I figured out the best set up of the background along with the dance. The final take that was used was very moving to me, and it conveyed my message. Over all, I enjoyed the process of creating my own piece, and I was able to convey my specific message about Body Dysmorphic disorder.” (Video seen above) 

Rosiejo Genzola ‘21-
“For my Personal Project, I chose to compose 13 poems in the viewpoint of those with a certain mental illness and created a book with said poems. My main goal was to adequately portray mental illnesses in hopes to increase the understanding of the topics mentioned to others. Utilizing this newly learned knowledge on the behaviors and thought processes of those with mental illnesses could help create better relationships for all those who could relate. Here are some examples:”

Depression
No one knows me
I’m irrelevant

When clearly I am not, I am dumb, so move on from these simple go-to phrases cause unique ones are all gone.
Speaking of unique, that’s not me,
There are better people in my life, the cold reality, I’m a nobody, calling me another leader wannabe, but so is she, but her friends keep saying that they disagree
Might as well go MIA, the same exact idea that I had since 7th grade
Cause I bet none of y’all didn’t care until now when i pour out feelings in front of a crowd
This is what’s wrong with the human race, it’s all just a race telling me pick up the pace
Cause i should be getting ready for the supposed real world, a real world filled up with picky boys and some fake girls
Now you might say that’s not true, that you love me for who i am and i mean so much to you
That seems so cliche, but it seems that it’s the only way, for you to say that you don’t want to see me running away
Or the oppression that i put upon myself saying I’m ugly
I’m trifling, feeling unimportant and petty
Yes, I’m feeling depressed, that’s why I’m kinda pressed
On the idea that i seem to come up always second best
Because I’m not important in this world,
I failed all the obstacles that my life loves to hurl
A constant feeling I’ll never win, never satisfied
This feeling manifested, I’m legitimately dead inside
Honestly, I wanna live in a world that’s fair
A world where people aren’t just judging and giving violent stares
If you give it a week or two, there’ll be no answers to my prayers
Cause knowing today’s society, after time, they wouldn’t care

Schizophrenia

Don’t look up.
I hate imagining these things.
These things that don’t exist.
Every time I look, my heart
drops.
I become stiff.
I hear berating voices coming for my neck.
They tell me thoughts I don’t want to hear.
I see a snake that coils around my arm,
And slithers its way around my throat.
I imagine a girl with a broken neck.
She stands across the room,
Tilting her head, at most a 90 degree angle.
I start to suffocate on my imagination.
I look up, closing my eyes, hoping to be taken away from the voices.
Violent and hungry.
Not being able to breathe, I look down,
Only to find that the snake took the form of my arms, hands, and fingers.
I let go.
Once again, I look across the room,
Into a mirror, where the girl with the broken neck stood.
The voices settle into whispers.
My eyes fill with light dew drops,
As I lay down and pull the covers over my head,
And drift off to sleep.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

It needs to be neat
If there are enough words then
It will be perfect

Marissa Hayes ‘21-

Marissa’s photography book cover page

“My Personal Project was based on how people show emotion and expression through photography. I chose to do this because I love photography and learning new things about my friends. I started the project by asking my

friends their favorite color, favorite song, and to bring something that they liked to express themselves with. I photographed them with these three things in mind and captures their emotion and reaction to what was happening around them.”

Behind the Scenes Photography of Beehive: The Musical

Neighborhood Photography

Kayla Marie-Cumberbatch ‘21-

Collage of busy American life

Digital drawing of African culture

“My Personal Project focused on the differences between East African and American culture and values. In traditional African culture, families live together in small villages and share a strong aspect of community, while in America, work and school have become the top priority of most people. This causes those who prioritize work and education to view spending time with their family as a secondary matter. Family is still quite important to everyone and is usually the reason that individuals prioritize work and education because they need to provide for their families. Though family and community are important in both cultures, the balance between work and family in the African community is betterThe digital drawing and collage are meant to show the difference between the daily life in the two cultures. Compared to the collage, the digital drawing is calmer and more simply. The simplicity is meant to depict a simpler life, while the college is quite busy and chaotic, which is a typical day in America.”

We look forward to continuing this new tradition at Mercy and can’t wait to see what creative ideas next year’s sophomores will have!