Welcoming Señor Fernandez!

November 12, 2018

This year Mercy High School welcomed Spanish teacher Señor Julio Fernandez, and so far his experience has been nothing but enjoyable! Señor Fernandez previously taught at Canton Middle School in Baltimore, MD, for seventeen years and North Hartford High School in Pylesville, MD, for fourteen years. He also coached softball and football at Baltimore City College in Baltimore, MD, for sixteen years. He retried from working full time in public schools but wanted to continue his passion for teaching with a part-time job at a private school. Señor Fernandez is very familiar with Mercy High because his daughters and wife are alumns, and he figured it would be the perfect place to work.

Señor Fernandez immigrated to the United States at eight years old with his parents and sister from a small fishing village in Spain called Sta. Eugenia de Ribeira. He vividly remembers how much he missed his family back home. On top of that, he had to move to a whole new country two days after Christmas! After moving to the US, he realized the only way for him to fit in with this new way of life was to “get involved and keep going.” Señor Fernandez still lives by this and always tries to find ways to get more involved in everything he does. Getting involved in a new school or a new job helps to “get the newness out of your system.”

Señor Fernandez’s favorite book is I Am Third by Al Silverman and Gale Sayers. This autobiography recounts the story of the first interracial roommates and Chicago Bears teammates, Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo. When Piccolo is diagnosed with embryonal cell carcinoma, Sayers helped him through rehabilitation until Piccolo succumbed to the cancer in 1970. Señor Fernandez is inspired by this book because it shows that when “tragedy strikes you can see that silver lining.”

Overall Señor Fernandez is greatly enjoying his time at Mercy High School and is always involving himself as much as possible. So far he has chaperoned at the homecoming dance this year and looks forward to helping out with Field Day 2019. Señor Fernandez’s favorite Mercy tradition is our morning prayer. He appreciates the reminder everyday that we are in God’s presence because when you “keep your faith, there is nothing we can’t accomplish.”