Club Happenings!

October 17, 2018

At Mercy High School, we offer a multitude of clubs and after-school activities. Here are some updates on some of the clubs we have to offer, as well as some descriptions of what each club does:

Book Club

“Our first Book Club meeting of the school year was on Tuesday, September 28. During our meeting we discussed meeting times and days, picked our first book, and talked about the types of books we would like to read throughout the year. The first book we chose is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Book Club’s next meeting will be held on Monday, October 29. Hope to see you there!”- Emma Coker, Book Club President

Anime Club

Anime Club had their first meeting on September 18th  and we plan to have our next meeting in mid-October. During our first meeting, we played a “guess that character” game using classic movies and shows like Ponyo and My Hero Academia as an icebreaker and introduced ourselves by saying our name, grade, and favorite anime. Then we set the activities that we plan on doing for the year such as watching movies and shows, discussing shows we have watched or are watching, learning to dance, and trying Japanese snacks. At our next meeting, we are going to watch the classic movie My Neighbor Totoro. “-Sarah Cirincione

Footlighters

“Footlighters has been practicing read throughs for the upcoming production of the Odd Couple. If you don’t know what the Odd Couple is, it based off the play and tv show with two characters. One is very clean and prissy while the other is very grimy and sporty. It has been very fun for the cast this week as they get connected more to each other mentally on stage and at school. Also this week, we had hands activities such as playing the classic trivia game, Trivial Pursuit, to get the feel of what its like in the 1970’s.

If you don’t want to miss the chance of the lifetime to see a wonderful comedy please come to the shows which are held October 27th at 7:00pm and October 28th at 3:00pm hope see you there!”- Sydney Randall

Robotics Team

“Recently in robotics, the team has been preparing for this year’s Vex Robotics Tournament game called “Turning Point.” Robots need to be able to perform multiple functions, including picking up caps, intaking and launching balls, and climbing up small steps. Since the game is so demanding, and most of this year’s Robotics Team is new to engineering and coding, we have a lot of work ahead of us. Robotics Team members already have simple claw robots, and now we are making sketches of different parts we can add to our robots to improve their performance. We are also beginning to learn about Robotc, which is the software used to code our robots. Learning a new coding language and designing and constructing our robots will require a lot of hard work and dedication, but us club members are determined to participate in tournaments and prove our skill as a new team to the robotics platform.”- Olivia Hatcher

Apprentice Dance Company

“The Apprentice Dance Company (ADC) is a new dance program established during the 2017-2018 school year. ADC is designed for students who have limited dance experience or want to be a part of a dance program less rigorous than Dance Troupe. The newly-founded dance program is led under the direction of Ms. Michele May. Students learn a variety of dance styles which include: ballet, modern, and jazz. ADC also participates in the Dance Concert as well as Dance Day.” – Grace LaCount

Madrigals

In the month of September, the Madrigals have gained a few more singers primarily in the freshman and sophomore years. All of our singers started off the year learning “White Winter Hymnal” by the Fleet Foxes with a Pentatonix twist, along with the cover of “Silent Night” by Pentatonix as well. Mr. Rybczynski and Dr. Jeffcoat have continued to teach us these two songs in which we have progressed greatly in. Along with this, we have went over “I Sing Because I’m Happy” and “Oceans” for the mass before the Ring Day ceremony. Overall, the Madrigals have had a lot of fun going over these pieces!“- Rosiejo Genzola

Editor’s Note: The Madrigals is now led by Mr. Eugene Sung, who has taken over the role of director.

Environmental Club

“In Environmental Club, we educate the school on being green. Encourage everyone on campus to recycle and to think green. We hand out smarties during junior/senior lunch and freshman/sophomore lunch to students who have or any reusable containers or water bottles. We place pamphlets over recycling bins to show what belongs in the trash and what belongs in the recycling. The members in the club also set goals over the summer and over holidays, such as, planting gardens over the summer, encouraging the family to get active with recycling, and using reusable bags for Christmas or reusing wrapping paper. Last but not least, every once in a while the club members clean up around the school. Usually we do this sometime around Earth Day. “- Briahna Stumpf