Sports on The Shield: Two Student Perspectives’ on the Orioles

April 18, 2018

The Baltimore Orioles have recently begun their 2018 season. The beginning of this season has produced many opinions from the fans. Fortunately, The Shield happens to have two major Orioles fans on their staff, Kaitlyn Le Compte Roy and Savannah Collins. Here are their perspectives on the season so far.

Kaitlyn

So far, this season has sucked. Of course there is hope since it is so early in the season. First of all, moving Manny from 3rd baseman to short stop was a horrible decision. Although he is originally a short stop, he is much better as a 3rd baseman. Just look at how he did last season compared to this season so far.

Second, our pitching is pathetic. There has been way too many walks and hits in general.On a more positive note, having Caleb Joesph as our main catcher is fantastic. He makes good calls and is overall a great player. Regarding Joesph’s calls, whether the pitcher listens to him or not is up to the pitcher.

As for not doing well offensively, I have absolutely no idea what is going on. And, the April 10th game was almost a no-hitter. Typically we don’t utterly suck against the Toronto Blue Jays, but this game was down right sad to watch. Luckily, we managed a 2-1 loss.

Savannah

At the beginning of the season, I had an opposing opinion to Kaitlyn. In the beginning, I felt the Orioles had a lot of potential, especially in pitching. On opening day, in fact, pitcher Dylan Bundy pitched spectacularly for 7 innings. However, recently, that opening day high wore off, with the Orioles losing 10 to 1 to the Boston Red Sox over the weekend of April 14th and 15th . This series with the Red Sox exposed the same weaknesses the team displayed last season, the main again being pitching. The Orioles seemed to express hope over the spring training break that pitching had improved. However, the newest pitcher we have recruited must still complete college before playing in the major leagues. Pitching is a problem that must be fixed now, not 2 to 3 years down the line. Especially when this may be our last season with one of our star players, Manny Machado. On the topic of Manny Machado, he is entering his last year as an Oriole and will next year become a free agent. One big question I have for management is why they felt it necessary to move Machado from third base to short stop, a move that seemed tedious and harmful. Wouldn’t this season be the best time for us to utilize his skill at third base before he, most likely, becomes a Yankee?

If you are a fan, let us know what you think in the comments! We will be returning with another perspective later in the 2018 season.