Monthly Club Updates

November 6, 2017

2017-2018 Clubs and Organization Monthly Updates

Art Club:
During their second meeting, Art Club made a tissue paper tassel garland.

Dance Troupe:

Dance Troupe is preparing for their winter concert with the Hunt Valley Symphony Orchestra. They have finished one of the dances for that concert already. They also have ballet, jazz, and modern, classes each week. A few weekends ago, they had guest choreographer, Lauren Putty White, come in and set a piece for them.

Lance:

Members of the Lance have been busy working on several types of creative writing. Recently, they finished with their poetry unit, working on pieces inspired by nature and by those around you. They have just begun their unit of fiction, learning the importance of character development and plot.

Footlighters:

In their last few meetings, Mercy’s theatre group, called Footlighters, have been setting up and preparing for the production of “The Miracle Worker.” The group has been hard at work creating set pieces and perfecting costumes. They hope that you can join them for future performances!

Mercy Ensemble Players:

Ensemble has been preparing for the upcoming Christmas concert, they have one song finished, and are continuing to work on pieces and new scales. They plan on having recording of them to watch for those at Open House.

Book Club:

Book Club recently had their first meeting of the year, deciding on reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, planning on discussing ideas and observations after finishing the book.

Anime club:

Anime Club is currently meeting to discuss their show of the summer: No. 6, an anime about a futuristic dystopia. They plan to travel to an anime convention some point this year and post reviews on animes they watch on our website the Shield.

Girl’s Athletic Association:
The GAA are currently trying to work on collecting ideas for spirit week and developing ideas for out of uniform days throughout the year.

Model Diplomacy:

October 14th, 16 Mercy delegates traveled to Mount Saint Joseph High School for the Baltimore Area Training Model UN Conference This trained new delegates on parliamentary procedure, debating skills, and writing position papers. In the afternoon, delegates took part in committee sessions with members of the Johns Hopkins University International Relations Organization running the sessions. This was planned over the past year by Mr. Marchand and the Model UN club at MSJ. Mr.Marchand also spoke at the end of the conference, thanking MSJ and JHU for their work and giving the Mercy delegates a shoutout.

This year, they are attending the Model OAS conference in Washington DC. They also hope to go to at least 6 more conferences, including the Johns Hopkins 22nd annual Johns Hopkins University Model UN Conference. This is the third biggest MUN conference in the western hemisphere, with 1700 delegates from 12 different countries already signed up.

Student Council:

Student Council has been working hard this past week to prepare for this year’s Homecoming Dance. The theme is Friday the Thirteenth and on Monday during Magic Time, Student Council had several fun games from Field Day, and trivia about Mercy’s history.

Social Justice Society and First Generation Club:

Last week First Gen had its first meeting and had a nice showingof students at each lunch. Since this was our first session and they played a great “getting to know you” game called Pie Plate Game. They had a great conversation about our commonalities and differences. They plan to meet again at lunchtime in a few weeks.

SJS has had a successful and engaging first two meetings discussing several important topics concerning our students.

Pep Squad:

Try-Outs for Pep Squad are coming up within the next few days and both those interested and returning members are very excited to share their Mercy spirit with our community.

National Honors Society:
They are currently planing on working on their two major service projects for the year.

Robotics Team:
Currently, the Mercy Robotics Team are working on collaboratively creating Vex robots and are working on the engineering portion of the project.

International Club:
During their last meeting (10/27), they discussed International Week and the International Assembly. They went over the events that they plan on hosting. Friday will be the assembly that we have all been waiting for! For future plans, they aim to have a service project sometime soon and they will be having a Christmas party in December. They are planning some more events and activities as well.

Student Ambassadors:

Student Ambassadors have been holding many visitors from several middle schools and traveling around to many other schools for High School Fairs. They are also beginning proportions for our Open House on Saturday, October 28th.