New Teacher: Mr. Quinn

October 25, 2017

With his usual jovial smile, Mr. Daniel Quinn joined me in his classroom for a brief interview. As you may already know, he moved here from Canada just last summer. He previously worked in the Canadian Parliament, and he’s worked as a political organizer and a teacher. He taught United States History at Mercy while Ms.Emma McIntyre was on maternity leave last year and is now teaching American Government.

As he is from Canada, I was particularly interested in the cultural differences he has noticed during his time in the United States. “In many respects, Canadian culture is similar and has been influenced by American culture. Canadians watch the same movies, read the same books and wear the same clothes as Americans do. There is definitely a lot in common,” he informed me. Two of the biggest differences he notes are the language and cultural diversity. “I really appreciate living in a part of the world where there’s so much racial diversity. From my perspective, racial diversity presents certain challenges but also presents great opportunity for cross-cultural dialogue and understandings.”

As someone born and raised on the East coast, I was curious about a new perspective on Maryland. Mr. Quinn stated, “I really like Baltimore. For all of its challenges, I think it’s a really dynamic city with a lot of potential and a lot of really cool neighborhoods and nice people. I like how centrally located it is. Since I’ve lived here, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to explore the mid-Atlantic. No matter what direction you drive from Baltimore, you end up somewhere cool.”

When I asked about his experience at Mercy, Mr. Quinn told me that he never thought he would teach at an all-girls school. He said that he really enjoys the fact that he can teach without having to worry about disciplining his students for poor behavior. “What I like about Mercy is that when you work here you really are part of a community. There aren’t a lot of teachers who can say that they can recognize and name every student who attends that school. Because we are a small school we can develop a community of trust and actually know each other.”

Thank you to Mr. Quinn for the interview, and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your time here at Mercy!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “New Teacher: Mr. Quinn”

1. Julien on November 30th, 2017 8:54 pm

Mr. Quinn is a wonderful person, your school is lucky to have him!
    – Mr.Quinn’s best man 🙂

[Reply]

2. Alain Charbonneau on December 2nd, 2017 8:19 am

We, in Montreal, are envious that Mercy High School has snagged the talents of Dan Quinn. The social sciences department of your school has been greatly enhanced by his vast knowledge and teaching talents. When I decided to make the move from a bench warmer to a starting line-up role in our political movement Dan was there to help, to advice and to teach, with patience, sincerity and with great generosity.
    I see this is an all-girl school. That’s great! We need more women in politics.

I see Dan Quinn is still trying to make this world a better place for us all to live!

– Alain Charbonneau, President, Riding Association LaSalle-Émard-Verdun
    New Democratic Party of Canada

[Reply]

The Shield • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in