Mercy 5K Run and Magic Mile Family Fun Walk

October 10, 2017

The Mercy 5K Run and Magic Mile Family Fun Walk is an annual event sponsored by the Mercy Alumnae Association and Charm City Run. Volunteers and racers alike woke up early on Saturday, September 16, and gathered outside of Mercy High School in the crisp morning air. While waiting for the race to start, some filled out pieces of paper with the Mercy Sole design on them. These papers were purchased so racers and observers could write encouraging messages which were posted around the course. There were also five bins full of donated shoes which went to the Manna House, a soup kitchen and day shelter in Baltimore City.

The race began at 9:00 a.m., starting in the Mercy parking lot, and going through the nearby neighborhoods. Dan Swain of Narberth, Pennsylvania,¬†was the first to finish out of over 220 racers with a time of 16 minutes and 38 seconds. Freshman Mickey Burnett was the first current Mercy Girl to cross the finish line at 22 minutes and 45 seconds. Refreshments were provided for the exhausted runners, who could then go to a post-race party held at Zen West Roadside Cantina. A sense of community was seen through the attendance of Mercy alumnae and current students, both volunteering and racing in order to raise money. Approximately $5000 dollars were made thinks to donations and participation in the race. Thank you to our volleyball teams, Girl’s Athletic Association officers, and National Honors Society members for your hard work!