Freshman Welcome Day 2017

September 27, 2017

From left to right: Rosiejo Genzola, Riley Mitchell, Kayla Thuman, and Autumn Weaver

Freshman Welcome Day- a day of excitement and nervous energy that all upperclassmen remember so vividly. It is the day that the freshman class officially embarks on their high school journey. On September 13, 2017, the class of 2021 was welcomed into the Mercy High School community. Like every welcome day that has come before it, this year’s event began with a breakfast that included food like muffins, bagels, and donuts. During this breakfast, the freshman class met their big sisters and got the opportunity to get to know them better through a series of icebreaker questions.

“It feels both exhilarating and nerve-wracking to start high school. The breakfast with my big sister was one of the highlights of my day! Although I was a bit worried about what she would think about me, once we started talking, it seemed that we got along really well,” explains Rosiejo Genzola ’21. As a tradition of Mercy High School, the sophomore class, junior class, and senior class give the freshman class a welcoming gift on this day. This year, the class of 2020 decided to give the class of 2021 a collection of inspirational quotes to guide them through the challenges of freshman year. These quotes included, “You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so…get on your way!”- Dr. Suess and a quote by Mercy’s own, Christy Martin ’20, – “Life’s more fun with a smile.”

The junior class, the freshman class’s big sisters, gave their little sisters teddy bears and binder clips with their graduating year, 2021, on them. The class of 2021 also received a welcome guide to meaningful events in the life of a Mercy girl from the senior class. After the receiving of the gifts, the freshmen gathered together in small groups and picked three topics such as age, siblings, and pets to talk about with their group members. “It was really fun. I got to talk to people I didn’t think I was going to talk to, and I made a lot of new friends,” says Kayla-Marie Cumberbatch ’21. To culminate yet another Freshman Welcome Day, four freshmen were randomly selected to hold the freshman class banner. The best of luck is wished to the newest addition to the Mercy community- the class of 2021.