The Shield

Mercy Day/Ring Day

Meg Kennedy and Kaitlyn Le Compte-Roy

Friday, September 22nd 2017 was a memorable day for the class of 2018. Years of waiting and counting had finally ended. The day began with mass in the auditorium, excitement brewing among the all of the seniors, waiting to join the collection of other Mercy Girls who wear the bright garnet ring.

Down the Science Wing, the nervous sophomores could be heard practicing their renditions of “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves and “Happy” by Pharrell Williams. The little sisters ready to present their big sisters with their songs that they have been practicing for weeks.

Nearby in the library, freshman also practiced their version of the “Spongebob Squarepants” theme song which displayed their pride in their new school. Downstairs in the main lobby, the juniors prepared for their song to the tune of “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift. Lastly in the Auditorium, the seniors prepared their song to “This Town” by Niall Horgan, and readied themselves for the milestone in their Mercy High School career.

The ceremony began with sophomores escorting the seniors down the stairs of the auditorium, roses, a traditional gift from little sisters, lay across the arms of each senior. Later, the audience heard speeches from seniors Mia Ramirez and Amber Parker. Both speeches discussed the responsibility of living and truly experiencing each day, but especially in your senior year. Lastly, each class took turns performing their songs.

The freshman went first, giggles filling the room as the tune of “Spongebob Squarepants” began. It went on to share their cheerful excitement for their years at Mercy. Next, the juniors performed, describing their pride for the seniors, but their excitement for the next year. The sophomores then stood to share their songs, nervous but proud of their big sister’s achievement. They sang how they would miss the seniors, but that they are destined for greatness in the years to come. Finally, the seniors stood to sing their song, sharing advice with each of the classes, making sure to remind everyone of last year’s field day winners. All of the class’s songs were amazing, seniors were loving and charming, while the junior’s song was detailed and well written. The freshman’s song was adorable and a great job for their first Ring Day. Lastly, the sophomores were clever and witty, leaving this year’s Mercy Day/ Ring Day to be a complete success.