The Shield

Islamophobia Conference

Blen Mulugeta

On March 6, 2017 the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation Sisterhood held their 57th Interfaith Institute. The Interfaith Institute is a unique opportunity to discuss and learn about the issues of the day with members of other religions. This year’s issue was Islamophobia: The New Normal. Each participant gains new insights into the thoughts of their neighbors and community. The keynote speaker of the day was Dr.Homayra Ziad and the responders were Catherine Osbourne, and Dr. Kristin White.

Dr. Homayra is the scholar of Islam at the Institute for Islamic, Christian, and Jewish Studies. Catherine Osbourne is the Campaign Director of Shoulder to Shoulder. Which is a national campaign of religious and interfaith organizations dedicated to working collectively against anti-Muslim bigotry in the U.S. Dr. Kristin White serves as the coordinator of Catholic Educational Engagement at Catholic Relief Services.

This years topic was Islamophobia: The New Normal. Islamophobia, is the dislike or prejudice against Islam or Muslims. Dr. Homayra addressed the public attitudes and policies that support Islamophobia in the United States, and discussed the impact of bigotry on American Muslim Communities. She also spoke about her family’s experience as Muslims living in the U.S.

This conference was held to inform and educate students and adults about the bigotry that Muslim Americans face today in the U.S. and how we ourselves can stop this. This doesn’t happen only in the U.S. it happens all around the world. Islamophobia is a serious issue that needs to be stopped.