The Shield

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Review

Savannah Collins

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story , is yet another expansion to the already colossal Star Wars universe. Serving as a prequel to previous movies, the movie’s plot is the classic “hero’s journey”, with Jyn Erso, played by actress Felicity Jones, serving as the protagonist. The movie begins with the background of Jyn, her father, Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen), and her mother, Lyra Erso (Valene Kane). When Orson Krennic (Ben Mendelsohn), a weapons research director for the Imperial Empire, comes back to find Galen Erso and recruit him back to the Empire, Jyn is forced to run away, to avoid being recruited along with her father. The movie then moves fifteen years later, with Jyn in custody of the Imperial Empire. She is rescued from custody by a Rebellion officer named Cassian Andor (Diego Luna). She is taken back to the Rebellion base and is put on a mission, along with Cassian Andor and a reprogrammed Imperial droid named K-2SO (Alan Tudyk), to find her father and obtain information about the Death Star, the base of the Imperial Empire.

Rogue One is a exciting movie to watch, even if you have never seen any of the previous Star Wars movies. It is filled with action and witty commentary, especially from the newly introduced droid K-2SO. I have one main criticism of this film: character development. This movie did not connect its newly introduced characters with the audience as well as it did in 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The audience  was being introduced to completely new characters too rapidly. At one point, I completely blanked on the name of a main character. The lacking character development also restricted me from feeling any strong emotions for the characters, unlike The Force Awakens. Another criticism of this movie is the “jumpiness” of the beginning. There were too many scenes happening back to back and this may be overwhelming to those in the audience who are not very familiar with the Star Wars universe.

I have more compliments for this film than complaints. The action is very well shot and acted by the stars. Also, the plot is very easy to follow and understand, even if you do not know anything about the Star Wars universe. The cast is expertly chosen, and play their characters well. The “comic relief” of the film, K-2SO, allows those audience who are not invested in the plot to laugh throughout. Many viewers feel the movie meshed the characteristics the old Star Wars movies with the new ones. The movie offers nostalgia for those who have loved Star Wars since the beginning, including a surprise appearance from a previous Star Wars cast member at the end.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. I feel it is another classic to add to the Star Wars universe.