The Shield

Doctor Strange Movie Review

Lauren Wallace, Staff

Superhero movies are the new trend in the film industry. Part of the reason these exciting, action packed films have been doing so well is new technology. With recent technological advances, the larger than life stories that many grew up with, have been able to take off. With the technology of today, the visually striking far away worlds and the awe inspiring superpowers have all been made possible. Beloved childhood characters that had once seemed far-fetched and unimaginable now feel more real and contemporary.

Since the production of Iron Man in 2008, Marvel Studios has a reputation for producing box office shattering films with some of the major actors of Hollywood. Doctor Strange is an American comic book series created by Stan Lee and Steven Ditko, that was first published in July 1963 by Marvel Comics. The comic book series follows the life of a Dr. Stephen Vincent Strange, a former neurosurgeon who gains mystic and supernatural abilities under the tutelage of the Ancient One. The heroic adventures of Doctor Strange, were made into a film by Marvel Cinematic Studios.

The film featuring Benedict Cumberbatch, Tilda Swinton, Rachel McAdams, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Mads Mikkelsen, and Michael Stuhlbag, was released on November 4, 2016.  Since released, the film has receive many positive reviews from critics. From Rotten Tomatoes, the film received a 90%. The critic consensus from Rotten Tomatoes states that, “Doctor Strange artfully balances its outré source material against the blockbuster constraints of the MCU, delivering a thoroughly entertaining superhero origin story in the bargain.” The New York Times says ““Doctor Strange,” is part of Marvel’s strategy for world domination, yet it’s also so visually transfixing, so beautiful and nimble that you may even briefly forget the brand.” Doctor Strange has generated $579.7 million in the box office, passing  the 2008 film, Iron Man.

Doctor Strange  is a contemporary mix of vivid colors, extraordinary reality-bending magic, comedy, and action. To see the film one does not need to know the backstory from the comics. The way the film introduces magic is different from what is seen in past Marvel films such as the 2011 film, Thor. With Doctor Strange, viewers see the more complex and scientific side of magic and the dangers that come along with it.

It is more than likely that we will be seeing more of Dr. Stephen Strange in future Marvel movies. Due to the success of the movie, ambitious leaders over at Marvel Studios will probably run with the idea, gaining inspiration from the movie and producing more artistic and engaging work for the future.