Mercy Field Day 2016

May 2, 2016

Field Day season just wrapped up at Mercy High! This time of year, all four classes compete to be the Field Day champions. The classes voted for their themes. The senior theme was “Around the World in 16 Days.” The junior theme was “Disney Channel Juniors.” The sophomore theme was “Sophomores in Play-land.” Finally, the freshmen theme was “Freshmen Forecasters.” Field Day this year was scheduled to be on April 21st and 22nd, rain or shine.

There have been some changes to Field Day this year. This year, a trivia intramural was added, and there are new funny races such as the “Partner Balloon Race” and “Egg on a Spoon Race.”

The freshmen dance featured weather themed props such as umbrellas and ponchos, while the sophomore dance featured multiple costume changes and different dance styles. The juniors did a great job incorporating their theme of Disney Channel into their dance, ultimately taking first place in dance, and the seniors included many styles of dance from around the world.

The Race Around the School this year had an interesting outcome, with freshmen and seniors tying for first. Ultimately, the seniors got first due to the rule of seniority.

The senior class won Field Day overall, making it the Class of 2016’s first Field Day win. The juniors came in second and sophomores came in third. Finally, freshmen came in fourth. Regardless of their placing, every class cheered and rejoiced for their class!

(Photo courtesy of Ms. Tess Veloso)