Modular grid example with the yearbook team hard at work.

Year of the Yearbook

November 14, 2014

“Mercy & Me” is the theme for this year’s yearbook with a sub-theme of “Be the change you want to see.” The Garnet yearbook team wants to focus on all of the changes happening in the school community and the effect that students have on campus. Our goal is to make an incredible yearbook that the student body will want for a lifetime of memories. The goal of this year’s team is to pay off last year’s yearbook balance by selling old yearbooks at functions where alumnae, parents, and even grandparents will be present. Yearbook also raises money by having bake sales and selling reusable Mercy cups, hand painted by The Garnet staff. To keep up with yearbook sales and news pages, one can find the yearbook bulletin board in the hallway near the library.

To make a yearbook possible, it requires a lot of work, inside and outside of the classroom. Anyone can usually find the photography team taking photos at major events at school, the journalism team getting quotes from students and teachers, or the design team working on modular grids that layout the yearbook pages on the school computers. The process of making the yearbook is one that takes the whole school year. Yearbook team started off the school year by coming up with a theme. Then they had a graphic designer come in to make the sketches of their ideas into a professionally designed yearbook cover. While all of this is going on they continue working on pages of the yearbook and coming up with marketing strategies, and reaching out to businesses who are interested in buying ads. All the while they share their excitement about the book with the rest of the students, so they know that the year book is for them and about them. The yearbook staff is currently planning distribution days at lunch for last year’s yearbook (2014-2015). Make sure to be looking out for coupons and special bundle deals for this year’s incredible yearbook.

Shannon Fendryk '15, Nyah McDonald '15, and Hannah Roggio '15

Shannon Fendryk ’15, Nyah McDonald ’15, and Hannah Roggio ’15

Haley Workmeister '15 ,Cassandra Paulshock '15 ,Hannah Roggio '15,Nyah McDonald '15,Leah Dickinson '15 and Lauren Reilly '16

Haley Workmeister ’15 ,Cassandra Paulshock ’15 ,Hannah Roggio ’15,Nyah McDonald ’15,Leah Dickinson ’15 and Lauren Reilly ’16

Cassandra Paulshock '15, Haley Workmeister '15, and Nyah McDonald '15

Cassandra Paulshock ’15, Haley Workmeister ’15, and Nyah McDonald ’15