Behind the Scenes of Dance Troupe

Kayla Smith, Editor

When the audience sees Dance Troupe perform at the school preview, they see the product of hours of hard work and dedication. Dance Troupe prepares for the concert at the start of the school year with technical training; the troupers focus on how to properly execute flawless movements on stage. The goal of Dance Troupe is to establish a solid technical base in ballet, modern, and jazz dance. At the start of the season Mrs. Gloria Lang ‘66, the Director of Dance, focuses on bringing in the new members of Dance Troupe so that they are able to dance at the same technical level as the seasoned dancers.

A typical ballet class starts at the barre to warm up the body. Next the dancers “come center,” as Mrs. Lang would put it, to do different jumps. Then they go across the floor, keeping their technique in mind, to properly execute ballet combinations.  Mrs. Lang’s ballet teaching style consists of a background in Russian and Italian ballet. Dance Troupe’s modern class is taught by Ms. Shianne Antoine ‘11 and Mrs. Lang. Modern gives the dancers a chance to move more freely while also maintaining their technical training. While taking a modern class, the dancers focus on target areas such as the back it’s initiation of every movement. Mrs. Lang teaches modern dance in the styles inspired by Martha Graham, José Limón, Humphrey/ Weidman, all well known for their impact on modern dance. Ms. Antoine teaches in the style of Paul Taylor, a renowned choreographer.

Another class that Dance Troupe takes is jazz. Jazz day is one of the troupers’ favorite days. It includes a warm up with various isolations using the head, neck, core, hips, and back. For core strength, Dance Troupe does various crunches and core strengthening exercises. After the warm up portion of class, the girls travel across the floor doing combinations to upbeat and fun songs. You can usually hear the latest songs blasting from the studio as you walk by. The classes in ballet, modern, and jazz prepares Dance Troupe for the  concert, by gaining the skills necessary to put on a show.

This school year Mrs. Lang is planning to have 10-12 pieces in the final concert. The style of the pieces will be in ballet, modern, jazz, and Irish. The pieces will be choreographed by Lauren Putty White, Nancy Wenzel, Briana Dorsey ‘13, Ms. Antoine, and Mrs. Lang herself.  Student choreography includes Rebecca Landerkin ‘15 and Kayla Smith ‘15. Other performances for this year include dancing at middle schools, Mercy’s Dance Day, and possibly other performances throughout the school year.

Although dance is the main focus, other things happen inside the walls of the glass studio; Mrs. Lang teaches and expects hard work, maturity, positive attitudes, punctuality, and progress. Because of this standard Dance Troupe continues to excel. Dance Troupe is always working to maintain this standard and ready to put on a chilling performance with the guidance and teaching of Mrs. Lang.

Dance Troupe

Laiza Braine                Rachel Hoos
Molly Burnham            Rebecca Landerkin
Rena Christ                Kyla Leonard
Beth Cook                 Alison Maddox
Lisa Eibner                Maya Mason
Shanelle Fleet           Jessie Midwig
Natoiya Franklin         Kayla Smith
Jenna Gaskill            Abeni Teal
Rebecca Hayes         Julia Walstrum

Molly Burnham '16, Kayla Smith '15, Rachel Hoos '18, Maya Brown '15,  Shanelle Fleet '18, Jessie Midwig '16,Rebecca Hayes '16, Jenna Gaskill '15, Abeni Teal '17, Rena Christ '17, Maya Mason '18,  Julia Malstrum '18, Lisa Eibner '18, Kyla Leonard '15, Beth Cook '17,  Rebecca Landerkin '15, and  Laiza Braine '16

Molly Burnham ’16, Kayla Smith ’15, Rachel Hoos ’18, Maya Brown ’15, Shanelle Fleet ’18, Jessie Midwig ’16,Rebecca Hayes ’16, Jenna Gaskill ’15, Abeni Teal ’17, Rena Christ ’17, Maya Mason ’18, Julia Malstrum ’18, Lisa Eibner ’18, Kyla Leonard ’15, Beth Cook ’17, Rebecca Landerkin ’15, and Laiza Braine ’16

Dance Troupe Seniors: Jenna Gaskill '15, Maya Brown '15, Kayla Smith '15, Kyla Leonard '15, and Rebecca Landerkin '15

Dance Troupe Seniors: Jenna Gaskill ’15, Maya Brown ’15, Kayla Smith ’15, Kyla Leonard ’15, and Rebecca Landerkin ’15

Maya Brown '15

Maya Brown ’15

Beth Cook '17 and Kayla Smith '15

Beth Cook ’17 and Kayla Smith ’15

Jessie Midwig '16, Beth Cook '17, Julia Walstrum '18, Molly Burnham '16, Rebecca Hayes '16, Shanelle Fleet '18, Maya Mason '18, Laiza Braine '16, and Kayla Smith '15

Jessie Midwig ’16, Beth Cook ’17, Julia Walstrum ’18, Molly Burnham ’16, Rebecca Hayes ’16, Shanelle Fleet ’18, Maya Mason ’18, Laiza Braine ’16, and Kayla Smith ’15

Rebecca Hayes  '16, Abeni Teal '17, Laiza Braine '16 and Beth Cook '17

Rebecca Hayes ’16, Abeni Teal ’17, Laiza Braine ’16 and Beth Cook ’17

Lisa Eibner  '18, Maya Mason '18, Maya Brown '15, Kyla Leonard '15, and Kayla Smith '15

Lisa Eibner ’18, Maya Mason ’18, Maya Brown ’15, Kyla Leonard ’15, and Kayla Smith ’15

Senior Dance Troupe: Jenna Gaskill '15, Kayla Smith '15,  Maya Brown '15, Kyla Leonard '15, and Rebecca Landerkin '15

Senior Dance Troupe: Jenna Gaskill ’15, Kayla Smith ’15, Maya Brown ’15, Kyla Leonard ’15, and Rebecca Landerkin ’15