The Presidential Election of 2016

December 21, 2016

How do you feel about Donald Trump being elected as the next President of the United States? Even today, the Electoral College is meeting to determine if the current President Elect will be the next President. Tell us in the comments how you feel.

The Cons of a Donald Trump Presidency

For many students, this was the first election we paid particular attention to. Most can attest to the fact that there wasn’t a specific candidate choice that was loved or heavily admired. But in many cases, the cons of one candidate can outweigh other factors. 
A Donald Trump presidency may harm the great strides America has so longed worked for. Not speaking of his ideals, but there are a cohort of his followers who bring about the message of discrimination and prejudice, and fuel from his words and actions. Followers of groups like the KKK have come out with their support of Donald Trump, and many “closeted racists” have come out as though it is now okay.
A Donald Trump presidency may also be harmful for women. Mercy, being an all-girls school,  has instilled the idea that women are just as strong and knowledgeable as men, and we can do everything we put our minds to. Donald Trump has once stated that women should be punished for having an abortion, and when he was accused of groping women, he stated that one victim was too ugly for him to even think of doing that. As a woman, I am simply uncomfortable  that our president-elect has held those views.
Since my freshman year of high school, a topic consistently brought up is Climate Change. As a current senior taking Global Issues, we have many discussions on what can be done on a person level and the state level.
President-elect Donald Trump has stated that he believes climate change is a myth brought about my China. This can lead to an accelerated worsening of climate change.