The Shield

The 2016 Presidential Election from a Republican

President Elect Donald Trump

President Elect Donald Trump

Micheal Vandon

Micheal Vandon

President Elect Donald Trump

Alexandra Lichtner, Editor In Chief

In the aftermath of the November 4th presidential election, the country stands torn. With Donald Trump as the newest President Elect, many in the United States are worried about her future. At the beginning of the election process, the country knew there would be a change. Good or bad, she did not know. All she knew is that there would be a change. As a Republican, and as a human, I feel that the election will prove a positive outcome over the next four years. This change is much needed and Donald Trump will deliver many of his promises and “Make America Great Again”.

President Elect Trump has never been involved in politics; he is a businessman. This country needs to be run as a business is run. The country is currently treated as if she is a child. She is being coddled and being told that all the bad is happening out there, not in here. We are unaware of the issues occurring within our borders. We rush to look at the needs of other countries and help, even if they do not want the help, such as some feel was the case in the Vietnam War, and ignore the needs of our own country, and we DO want the help, such as the case of veterans being denied proper healthcare. The United States currently spends $620 billion on education for students enrolled in grades K-12, but our test scores are some of the lowest in the world. According to the University of Southern California, Finland spends about $10 billion annually on all levels of education, and they have the highest literacy rate, highest test scores, and one of the highest school life expectancies. More money spent does not necessarily mean better education.

What does matter is that the student attends a school that he or she wants to go to; it is important that they have a choice. Right now, some students do not have the choice to attend a school, let alone a quality school, or even the option to attend school. President Elect Trump promises ” [He] will be the nation’s biggest cheerleader for school choice. [He] want[s] every single inner city child in America who is today trapped in a failing school to have the freedom – the civil right – to attend the school of their choice. [He] understand[s] many…will resist. But it’s time for our country to start thinking big once again. We spend too much time quibbling over the smallest words, when we should spend our time dreaming about the great adventures that lie ahead.” The future of our country is in our youth, and if they do not receive a quality education, this country has no future.

The President Elect plans on allocating, that is giving more funds, to school vouchers. School vouchers “are”, according to the National Conference of State Legislators, “state-funded scholarships that pay for students to attend private school rather than public school”.  President Elect Trump does not just want to send students to a private school instead of a public school though. He wants a child to attend a school they want to attend: private, public, magnet, or charter. It is time that the United States looks towards the future with eyes focused on the youth, for they are who hold the future of this nation in their hands.

President Elect Trump may not be the most liked, or the most popular, but what he is is determined. He is determined to get this country on the right track and help create a bright future for all living in this nation.