The Shield

Turkey Bowl 2016

Savannah Collins

The Turkey Bowl, an annual football game played between Calvert Hall College and Loyola Blakefield High School is a tradition that began 97 years ago in the year 1919. The game is now held in the home of the Baltimore Ravens, M&T Bank Stadium in downtown Baltimore. The game is often broadcast live by ABC 2 News. Most years, the Mercy community supports Calvert Hall, Mercy High School’s brother school. Current students and alumni of both schools attend the game every year, often sitting through November’s cold weather and high winds.

This year was the third year in the row that Calvert Hall has won. The Cardinals played a great game, beating the Loyola Dons 40-21. The Cardinals took an early lead and played great defense. The Cardinals were lead by quarterback Ben Brooks, who was made player of the game by ABC 2 News. The school spirit was high from both sides. Calvert Hall sophomore Daniel McHugh says, “It was cool to see all of the people supporting the schools….the energy from the crowd really gave a rush.”

There are also fond memories of the Turkey Bowl here on the Mercy campus. Calvert Hall alumnus, Mr. Maher, who teaches junior and senior English, says his first year going to the Turkey Bowl was in sixth grade. He remembers the game being a fun time all four years he went.

Congratulations to the Calvert Hall Cardinals!