The Shield

Women in the Military

Senior Sarah Felix will enter the Navy after graduation later this year

Alexandra Lichtner, Staff

High school is a time for us to learn and decide on our future. It is a time for growth: physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. With Career Day having come and gone, many students may be thinking about what career will be best for them. Many may be thinking science, medicine, arts, design, or something else entirely, but what many may not be thinking is military. The military may not seem to be a typical choice for a woman to pursue as a career, but the number of women in this field is growing.

In the military, there is something for almost everyone. For someone who likes land, air, sea, or a mixture of the three, there is a branch of military for each of these. The Air Force defends the United States in the air. The Navy and Coast Guard defend the country in the water. The Marines defend the country on land. The Army defends the country on all three. Even if one does not necessarily want to go into combat, there are jobs available on the home front. Even doctors and nurses work in the military.

Not all military is combat based. Kate Sweyko,  aunt of current student Alexandra Lichtner, attended the Coast Guard Academy because “they were not focused on war and preparation for war, but on protecting people at home through drug patrol and rescue missions.”

Karen Sweyko, aunt of junior Alexandra Lichtner in uniform at the United States Coast Guard Academy

Pauline Katherine Sweyko, aunt of junior Alexandra Lichtner in uniform at the United States Coast Guard Academy

The military can help pay for college. If someone wants to go to a traditional college and join the military, the military will help pay part (or sometimes all) of the tuition and if someone chooses to go to a military academy for college, there is no tuition. This way, one can receive a college level education without the college level debt and then enter the ranks in a higher position than if she just enlisted. When attending military academies, a student does not enter the ranks as an enlisted man or woman, but as an officer or similar rank.

The military gives new opportunities, such as to travel the world. The United States has military bases all over the world, and you could be stationed anywhere. The military also gives you an opportunity to protect your country and increase a sense of patriotism. When one leaves the service, it will be easier to find a job. Many businesses will be impressed with the presence of military service on a resume and are likely to hire retired service members and veterans.

Sarah Felix ’16 is, instead of enrolling in college, enlisting in the Navy.She does not think that traditional college is for her and would rather serve her country instead of enroll in college. Naval service is somewhat of a tradition for her family: “it’s something everyone in my family has done.”

Although the military may not be for everyone, it is certainly a future career path to consider. The ranks are growing for women, as are opportunities.