The Shield

Track Season Overview

Freshman Leah Williams sprinting for the finish line

Alexandra Lichtner

Alexandra Lichtner, Staff

January 29, 2016. For the majority of Mercy High School, this is the day of the 50th Mercy-Institute of Notre Dame basketball game. For a minority of students, this is the day of the IAAM Indoor Track Championships. Almost every year of this Mercy tradition, the track championships and big game have coincided in time and date, making it nearly impossible for the girls who run events at the Prince George’s County Sports Complex to make it to the SECU Arena at Towson University.

There are five events that the team qualified for: 55m hurdles, 55m dash, shot put, 300m dash, and the 4x200m relay. Najah Whitfield ’16 qualified for the 55m hurdles, 55m dash, and the 4x200m relay. Brie Valentine ’16 qualified for shot put and the 4x200m relay. Alexa Walker ’16 qualified for the 4x200m relay. Malaika Wanjihia ’16 qualified for the 4x200m relay. Consolata Olemgbe ’17 qualified for shot put. Last but not least, Leah Williams ’19 qualified for the 300m dash. While the outcome of the Mercy-IND game is up in the air until the last second, the result of the Mercy-IND track meet is always know. “Why,” you may ask? IND does not have a track team, so Mercy always beats IND.

Over the past three years, the Mercy track team has had three different coaches: Megan Fugate, Kelsey Donahue, and currently, EJ Jackson. Both EJ and assistant coach Mr. Eric Coles felt there was improvement throughout the season. Coach EJ said that he “saw a difference from the first meet (CCBC Essex) to the second meet (IAAM Meet) and from the second meet to the third meet (IAAM Qualifiers).” Mr. Coles said that the team had it’s ups and downs, but every team does, and the season was great overall: “We placed sixth at two meets out of sixteen plus schools.”

In the past two years, there has only been one senior on the team. This year, there were seven: Samantha Grace, Samantha Maygers, Kelsey O’Haire, Brie Valentine, Najah Whitfield, Alexa Walker, and Malaika Wanjihia. All felt that the season was cut short due to the shortage of meets this season. Typically, there are five meets in a season, but this year, there were only three. The freshmen on the team, Kari Maygers and Leah Williams, felt that the team was great and are excited to run again next year. Kari said, when asked about the season, “It was really fun, to be honest.”

Another indoor track season is in the books. This was the best year for many students, as many personal records were set. Next year is sure to bring surprises and those who run outdoor track are looking forward to the start of the season.