The Shield

Hunt Valley Symphony Orchestra

Esther Shin, Staff

The Hunt Valley Symphony Orchestra has recently partnered with Mercy High School. It now uses Mercy’s Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Auditorium for rehearsals every Sunday evening and for concerts that occur about once a month. Mercy students can stay after school to have private lessons with some of the members of the orchestra too. The Hunt Valley Symphony Orchestra is a non-profit organization that was created in 2013. It consists of a professional-level community orchestra and chorale. Mr. Gregory Lauer is the founder and executive director of the organization and the director of fine arts at Mercy High School. Mr. Gregory Metzler is the conductor and music director of the HVSO, and Mr. Jay Althouse is the chorale artistic director.

The orchestra performs a full season of concerts that begin in September and end in June. This past season, the HVSO has had two concerts. The first concert, called Broadway Pops, was on September 27th. It featured music from the most famous Broadway musicals, such as West Side Story, Wicked, and the Phantom of the Opera. Mercy Madrigal students also performed at the concert. The concert on November 1st featured pieces by the famous composers Mozart and Schubert. As a little surprise, the HVSO also played a part of the finale of a famous piece by Beethoven.

There are now only three more concerts left in the season. The Holiday Spectacular is expected to be the most popular and happens on both December 12th and December 13th. On top of the HVSO, the HVSO chorale, Mercy Madrigals, Mercy Ensemble Players, and the Mercy Dance Troupe will all be a part of the concerts.

Come out to support the HVSO and your fellow Mercy sisters on the two dates and look forward to spectacular music and dances. Tickets are only $15 for adults and $10 for seniors and students with ID’s. Children under 12 are FREE. Please come out to support the Valentine’s Concert and the Classical Masterworks Concert that are later on in the season. Further information on the concert will be announced.