The Shield

Changes Within the Fine Arts Department

Ms.Tess Veloso

Ms.Tess Veloso

Lindsey Dixon, Staff

Mercy’s Fine Arts a Department is bursting at the seams with change.  Mr.Gregory Lauer, the new chairperson of the Fine Arts Department, has upgraded and redefined the sound system in the auditorium, and he has rejuvenated Mercy’s tech booth including raising the desk and removing the glass windows. These improvements help those on the stage to communicate with the person in the tech booth.  Along with the sound system and tech booth, the lighting has also been reorganized.
Mr. Lauer has also made changes within the Fine Arts programs themselves. Mr. Lauer is now the director of Mercy’s vocal music co-curricular, Madrigals.  In previous years Mercy Madrigals have performed in black dresses; however, this year they will have new dresses.  Details about the new attire will be given in the future. These dresses will give the Madrigals a new look.
Performances in the Fine Arts Department are evolving. In mid-December the Madrigals, Dance Troupe, and Ensemble will perform alongside the Hunt Valley Symphony Orchestra for the first time.
Mercy’s Dance Troupe, led by alumnae Gloria Lang, Shianne Antoine, and Unissa Cruse-Ferguson, will be performing to live music at the Christmas concert; they will also take their show on the road at private middle and elementary schools. Dance Troupe continued to entice many visitors at Mercy’s Open House with Dance Day and the annual dance concert coming up in late April. Along with the many outstanding festivities that normally happen at the dance concert, this year alumnae may be performing with the current Dance Troupe members.
The changes taking place this year are simply the beginning of the rejuvenation of the Fine Arts Department. Mercy is looking to incorporate musicals in future productions. Another possibility is that students will be able to learn how to play a new instrument, such as the guitar or oboe. This opportunity would allow students who have never played an instrument of to learn how to. Additionally the department is looking to add more courses in the near future.